NewFilmmakers Los Angeles, which champions emerging filmmakers, is holding its monthly film festival online this month in coordination with the highly respected crowdfunding and SVOD platform Seed&Spark.
This marks a triumphant treturn for the NMFLA Festival after COVID-19 shut down its March and April editions, and the NFMLA Monthly Film Festival will be the very first film festival to launch on the new Seed&Spark platform.
The first all-digital NFMLA Monthly Film Fest will begin Friday and run through Sunday, with a focus on Female Cinema and Asian Cinema, two parts of NFMLA’s InFocus Initiative, which aims to correct the lack of diversity in media.
It will include short and feature film programs, filmmakers, Q&As, industry panels and more. Moderators and panelists will include CNN contributor and author Jeff Yang, Viacom CBS vice president of talent acquisition Suzanne Rosenthal, journalist Katherine Tulich, Gossip Girl writer Elaine Loh, the Big Sick writer Emily V. Gordon, among others.
Seed&Spark has previously worked with artists including Mark Duplass, Lena Waithe, Patton Oswalt, Jill Soloway, Franklin Leonard, Jason Reitman and many more.
“Team Seed&Spark is proud to be launching our virtual festival and screening platform with NFMLA. Both organizations are centered on helping independent filmmakers build their careers, so the alignment couldn’t be better,” said Emily Best, Seed&Spark founder and CEO.
A full schedule is here, and a full festival pass is $45, though you can also buy passes for individual films and panels.
Here’s a full list of the films:
● A Sunburnt Summer – Zicheng Li (Writer/Director)
● Beam – Jesse Gi (Writer/Director)
● Boxers of Brule – Jessie Adler (Director)
● Crimson Cuffs – Madeline Vail (Writer/Director)
● Curtains – Kirsten Vangsness (Writer/Director)
● Daytime Moon – Kyung Sok Kim (Director), Kyung Sok Kim and Rex Reyes (Writers)
● Deaf Latinos Y Familias – Kathryn Boyd-Batstone (Director)
● Dream Boy or the Pursuit of Being – Auden Bui (Writer/Director)
● Fleck – Jing Ai Ng (Writer/Director)
● He Wants To Know My Number – Sakinah Iman (Writer/Director)
● Jackets For Butterflies – Hank (Writer/Director)
● Just One Night – Sahar Jahani (Writer/Director)
● Kama’āina (Child of the Land) – Kimi Howl Lee (Director)
● Master of Divinity – Eugene Suen (Writer/Director)
● Pushing Buttons – Summer Rudas (Director), Silvana Gargione (Writer)
● Red Ladies or Help! My Mom is a Republican – Parida Tanti (Writer/Director)
● The Cat in Me – Xuerui Wang (Director), Lingyu Wang (Writer)
● The Jessicas Are Turning 30 – Maya Sugarman and Amy King (Directors)
● Topanga – Aycil Yeltan (Writer/Director)
● What We Talk About When We Talk About Lights, Camera, Action – Jianle Liu
(Director), Ruochong Wang (Writer)
● First Blush – Victor Neumark (Writer/Director)
● Romance Analyst – Rachel Wortell (Writer/Director)
Founded in 2007, NFMLA is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that serves approximately 25,000 patrons annually. It has screened more than 2,500 films from roughly 80 countries.