We accept applications for editorial internships in our Playa Vista offices on a rolling basis throughout the year.
This is a hands-on position that will give interns a strong familiarity with the running of an independent publication. Candidates with a background in film who are interested in entertainment journalism are especially welcome, as there is ample opportunity to have work published over the course of the internship. Please note that this internship is an unpaid position, but that we are happy to provide course credit to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing a degree.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the editorial team with daily tasks, including copy-editing, proofreading, fact-checking, research for features and various other editorial duties (careful attention to detail is a must)
- Writing articles and conducting interviews for web and/or print platforms
- Email correspondence with film festivals, distributors, and filmmakers
- Editing video for web publication
- Web updates and general site management
- Social media outreach
- Impeccable writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of and passionate interest in independent film
- Knowledge of social media platforms across the spectrum
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Able to commute to our Burbank offices for the duration of the internship
- Able to bring functional laptop to work on during internship hours
- Current undergraduate or graduate student
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Familiarity or proficiency with AP Style, PhotoShop, InDesign, Final Cut Pro, other video editing software
In order to apply, send an email with subject line “Internship application” and the following documents attached to assistant[at]moviemaker.com
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (journalistic writing is preferred, but not essential; please keep the sample to no more than three pages)
Selected candidates will receive an email follow-up to schedule an interview.